Dynamic Flow Profiling
Increasingly stringent standards for trace levels of contaminants such as chromium, arsenic, nitrates and TPC in combination with a surge in demand for groundwater resources have led to a need for more efficient and precise well characterization.
Under exclusive license to BESST Inc. from the U.S. Geological Survey, the DyeTracer system allows injection of minute amounts of rhodamine dye solution at varying depths in a well while the well is still operating at a steady state. The return rate of the injected dye provides unparalleled data that BESST analyses to determine flow dynamics throughout the well. Other conventional methods of characterizing wells are expensive, involve disrupting water service and do not represent water quality and flow velocity data during steady state pumping conditions. BESSTS’s miniaturized technology allows the well to operate normally while the diagnostic analysis is conducted, which provides representative data under actual pumping conditions.
- To determine pathways of water migration into a well.
- To determine mass transfer of contaminants throughout the well.
- To delineate flow contribution zone by zone along the screened section of the well.
- To delineate flow velocity zone by zone along the screened section of the well.
- To delineate zonal percentage contribution along the screened section of the well.
- To develop a customized sampling plan for water quality analysis.
- To reduce or eliminate dependence on expensive treatment technologies.
- To delineate plume migration within an active well field.
Combining BESST’s HydroBooster Pump System with the Dynamic Flow Profile have produced diagnostic data that has revealed opportunities for a magnitude of different well modification. Installation of sleeves and packers at precise depth along the wells screen has reduced the amount of contaminants entering the well which in turn has reduced water treatment cost with saving that have been estimated to nearly 80 percent annually. Engineered suctions and pump replacement are common modification that have made as a result of the Dynamic Flow Profile.